Makes announcements over public address system at sporting or other public events. May act as master of ceremonies or disc jockey at weddings, parties, clubs, or other gathering places.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Selects and plays music appropriate for the crowd.
- Previews any music intended to be broadcast over the public address system.
- Learns to pronounce the names of players, coaches, institutional personnel, officials, and other individuals involved in an event.
- Informs patrons of coming events at a specific venue.
- Sets up and tests various equipment, including sound equipment, before each event.
- Greets attendees and serves as masters of ceremonies at banquets, store openings, and other events.
- Reads prepared scripts describing acts or tricks presented during performances.
- Instructs and calms crowds during emergencies.
- Improvises commentary on items of interest, such as background and history of an event or past records of participants.
- Announces programs and player substitutions or other changes to patrons.