Operates mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Determines load weights and checks them against lifting capacities to prevent overload.
- Moves levers, depresses foot pedals, or turns dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
- Inspects and adjusts crane mechanisms or lifting accessories to prevent malfunctions or damage.
- Inspects cables or grappling devices for wear and installs or replaces cables, as needed.
- Directs helpers engaged in placing blocking or outrigging under cranes.
- Cleans, lubricates, and maintains mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, or grappling devices, making repairs, as necessary.
- Loads or unloads bundles from trucks, or moves containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Reviews daily work or delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, or special loading instructions.
- Inspects bundle packaging for conformance to regulations or customer requirements, and removes and batches packaging tickets.
- Directs truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and covers, uncovers, or secures loads for delivery.