Formulates and applies mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. May collect and analyze data and develop decision support software, service, or products. May develop and supply optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Formulates mathematical or simulation models of problems, relating constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives, and their numerical parameters.
- Performs validation and testing of models to ensure adequacy and reformulate models as necessary.
- Collaborates with senior managers and decision makers to identify and solve a variety of problems and to clarify management objectives.
- Presents the results of mathematical modeling and data analysis to management or other end users.
- Collaborates with others in the organization to ensure successful implementation of chosen problem solutions.
- Analyzes information obtained from management to conceptualize and define operational problems.
- Studies and analyzes information about alternative courses of action to determine which plan will offer the best outcomes.
- Prepares management reports defining and evaluating problems and recommending solutions.
- Defines data requirements and gathers and validates information, applying judgment and statistical tests.
- Observes the current system in operation and gathers and analyzes information about each of the parts of component problems, using a variety of sources.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.