About This Career
Repairs and refinishes automotive vehicle bodies and straightens vehicle frames.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Files, grinds, sands, and smooths filled or repaired surfaces, using power tools and hand tools.
- Inspects repaired vehicles for proper functioning, completion of work, dimensional accuracy, and overall appearance of paint job, and test-drives vehicles to ensure proper alignment and handling.
- Fits and welds replacement parts into place, using wrenches and welding equipment, and grinds down welds to smooth them, using power grinders and other tools.
- Primes and paints repaired surfaces, using paint sprayguns and motorized sanders.
- Follows supervisors' instructions as to which parts to restore or replace and how much time the job should take.
- Sands body areas to be painted and covers bumpers, windows, and trim with masking tape or paper to protect them from the paint.
- Chains or clamps frames and sections to alignment machines that use hydraulic pressure to align damaged components.
- Positions dolly blocks against surfaces of dented areas and beats opposite surfaces to remove dents, using hammers.
- Cuts and tapes plastic separating film to outside repair areas to avoid damaging surrounding surfaces during repair procedure and removes tape and washes surfaces after repairs are complete.
- Reviews damage reports, prepares or reviews repair cost estimates, and plans work to be performed.