About This Career
Installs or repairs cables or wires used in electrical power or distribution systems. May erect poles and light or heavy duty transmission towers.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adhere to safety practices and procedures, such as checking equipment regularly and erecting barriers around work areas.
- Drives vehicles equipped with tools and materials to job sites.
- Opens switches or attaches grounding devices to remove electrical hazards from disturbed or fallen lines or to facilitate repairs.
- Climbs poles or uses truck-mounted buckets to access equipment.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs electrical distribution and transmission systems, including conduits, cables, wires, and related equipment, such as transformers, circuit breakers, and switches.
- Inspects and tests power lines and auxiliary equipment to locate and identify problems, using reading and testing instruments.
- Coordinates work assignment preparation and completion with other workers.
- Replaces or straightens damaged poles.
- Strings wire conductors and cables between poles, towers, trenches, pylons, and buildings, setting lines in place and using winches to adjust tension.
- Attaches cross-arms, insulators, and auxiliary equipment to poles prior to installing them.