Provides treatment of symptoms and disorders using needles and small electrical currents. May provide massage treatment. May also provide preventive treatments.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inserts needles to provide acupuncture treatment.
- Maintains and follows standard quality, safety, environmental and infection control policies and procedures.
- Adheres to local, state and federal laws, regulations and statutes.
- Identifies correct anatomical and proportional point locations based on patients' anatomy and positions, contraindications, and precautions related to treatments such as intradermal needles, moxibution, electricity, guasha, or bleeding.
- Maintains detailed and complete records of health care plans and prognoses.
- Analyzes physical findings and medical histories to make diagnoses according to Oriental medicine traditions.
- Treats patients using tools such as needles, cups, ear balls, seeds, pellets, or nutritional supplements.
- Develops individual treatment plans and strategies.
- Evaluates treatment outcomes and recommends new or altered treatments as necessary to further promote, restore, or maintain health.
- Collects medical histories and general health and life style information from patients.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.