Diagnoses, treats, and prevents disorders by stimulating specific acupuncture points within the body using acupuncture needles. May also use cups, nutritional supplements, therapeutic massage, acupressure, and other alternative health therapies.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops individual treatment plans and strategies.
- Adheres to local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and statutes.
- Inserts needles to provide acupuncture treatment.
- Identifies correct anatomical and proportional point locations based on patients' anatomy and positions, contraindications, and precautions related to treatments, such as intradermal needles, moxibustion, electricity, guasha, or bleeding.
- Collects medical histories and general health and lifestyle information from patients.
- Treats patients using tools, such as needles, cups, ear balls, seeds, pellets, or nutritional supplements.
- Analyzes physical findings and medical histories to make diagnoses according to Oriental medicine traditions.
- Maintains and follows standard quality, safety, environmental, and infection control policies and procedures.
- Educates patients on topics, such as meditation, ergonomics, stretching, exercise, nutrition, the healing process, breathing, or relaxation techniques.
- Dispenses herbal formulas and informs patients of dosages and frequencies, treatment duration, possible side effects, and drug interactions.