About This Career
Ensures the safe takeoff and landing of commercial and military aircraft. Duties include coordination between air-traffic control and maintenance personnel, dispatching, using airfield landing and navigational aids, implementing airfield safety procedures, monitoring and maintaining flight records, and applying knowledge of weather information.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Systems/Infrastructure Planning, Management and Regulation pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects airfield conditions to ensure compliance with federal regulatory requirements.
- Implements airfield safety procedures to ensure a safe operating environment for personnel and aircraft operation.
- Conducts inspections of the airport property and perimeter to maintain controlled access to airfields.
- Assists in responding to aircraft and medical emergencies.
- Initiates or conducts airport-wide coordination of snow removal on runways and taxiways.
- Manages wildlife on and around airport grounds.
- Coordinates communications between air traffic control and maintenance personnel.
- Performs and supervises airfield management activities, including mobile airfield management functions.
- Plans and coordinates airfield construction.
- Monitors the arrival, parking, refueling, loading, and departure of all aircraft.