Installs, services, and repairs heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial buildings.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests pipe or tubing joints or connections for leaks, using pressure gauge or soap-and-water solution.
- Tests electrical circuits or components for continuity, using electrical test equipment.
- Repairs or replaces defective equipment, components, or wiring.
- Discusses heating or cooling system malfunctions with users to isolate problems or to verify that repairs corrected malfunctions.
- Repairs or services heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to improve efficiency, such as by changing filters, cleaning ducts, or refilling non-toxic refrigerants.
- Installs, connects, or adjusts thermostats, humidistats, or timers.
- Connects heating or air conditioning equipment to fuel, water, or refrigerant source to form complete circuit.
- Studies blueprints, design specifications, or manufacturers' recommendations to ascertain the configuration of heating or cooling equipment components and to ensure the proper installation of components.
- Complies with all applicable standards, policies, or procedures, such as safety procedures or the maintenance of a clean work area.
- Installs auxiliary components to heating or cooling equipment, such as expansion or discharge valves, air ducts, pipes, blowers, dampers, flues, or stokers.