Formats text and graphical elements using computer software to produce publication-ready material.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Printing Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Checks preliminary and final proofs for errors and makes necessary corrections.
- Operates desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out, and produce camera-ready copy.
- Positions text and art elements from a variety of databases in a visually appealing way to design print or web pages, using knowledge of type styles and size and layout patterns.
- Converts various types of files for printing or for the Internet, using computer software.
- Transmits, delivers or mails publication master to printer for production into film and plates.
- Studies layout or other design instructions to determine work to be done and sequence of operations.
- Enters digitized data into electronic prepress system computer memory, using scanner, camera, keyboard, or mouse.
- Views monitors for visual representation of work in progress and for instructions and feedback throughout process, making modifications as necessary.
- Imports text and art elements, such as electronic clip art or electronic files from photographs that have been scanned or produced with a digital camera, using computer software.
- Collaborates with graphic artists, editors and writers to produce master copies according to design specifications.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.