Transfer Students

What is the definition of a transfer student?

Typically, transfer students have completed 30 or more transferable semester college units. However, you can transfer with less than 30 credit hours.

What are transfer admission requirements?

Generally, you must complete an application, submit an application fee and transfer transcripts from the college(s) you previously attended. If you've completed less than 30 credit hours, you'll need to submit your high school transcripts as well as college entrance exam scores.

Colleges typically have a minimum grade requirement for credits. Contact the campus you plan to attend to find out about its admissions and transfer policies.

Besides the application, what other documents do I need to provide?

You'll need an official transcript from the college(s) you attended. The college to which you're applying should let you know when to submit transcripts and notify you of any additional required information.

When do I submit transcripts, and what transcripts do I need to submit?

Submit official transcripts before enrollment to verify that all coursework is complete. Some colleges may delay admission, or not permit registration or attendance, until they have received final transcripts and verified admission eligibility.

Transcripts must be sent directly from the college(s) you attended. Or, in the case of freshman students, transcripts must be sent directly from the high school you attended. Keep a copy of transcripts and test scores for yourself -- to complete the enrollment process and for future academic advising sessions.

When can I transfer?

You can transfer to a community college anytime. But you'll need to carefully plan a transfer to a four-year college or university. Most four-year colleges recommend completing the two-year programs first, before transferring. Contact your transfer advisor to plan your transfer.

What courses should I take before I transfer?

It's a good idea to take general education requirements, because these courses transfer easily. Consult with an academic or admissions counselor to find out which lower-division major courses should be taken before transferring colleges. Generally, following these recommendations will help you stay on track for a timely graduation.

Which classes will transfer?

Before you register for a class, find out whether the course can be transferred to most, or all, of the colleges or universities you're considering. Also, contact your future college for an evaluation of your transcript.

What are general education courses and do they transfer?

Students who intend to earn a bachelor's degree must complete general education courses. For most colleges and universities, these are courses taken in the first two years of study. They give you insight into different college disciplines and help you select a major.

At a community college, concentrate on completing lower-division general education requirements. These courses are usually transferable to other colleges, and may help you meet admission requirements. An associate degree at a college or university certifies that you've completed all lower-division general education requirements. However, an associate of applied science degree is considered on a course-by-course basis.

Try to complete as many lower-division general education courses as you can before you transfer. However, completion of all requirements is not necessary for admission. And if you're enrolled in a program that requires extensive lower-division prerequisites, you may not be able to complete all the requirements before you transfer. But keep in mind, if you transfer to a new four-year college with few general education units, you may have to spend more time in your program. So be sure to plan ahead!

Can I transfer from a community college to a college or university before I earn my associate degree?


I'm seeking a second bachelor's degree. What should I do?

Complete the undergraduate application form. You'll need to meet the minimum requirements for admission as a post-baccalaureate student. You'll qualify for admission if you meet the following requirements:

  • You have completed a four-year college program and hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, or have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by campus authorities
  • You are in good academic standing at the last college or university you attended
  • You have a grade point average of at least 2.5 (A = 4.0) in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted

The number of second bachelor's students who can enroll may be limited if enrollment is heavy.

How do I apply for admissions as a transfer student?

Check the requirements for transfer admissions at the colleges you're considering. Then complete an application for admission. Submit the application, along with your application fee and transcripts.

Can I apply to more than one college?

College Planning makes applying to multiple colleges easy -- apply to college and track your applications. Remember, you'll need to pay an application fee for each application you submit.

How can I increase my chances for admission?

Working hard, earning good grades and taking the right classes are key to gaining admission to your college of choice. It's important to take general education courses and, for some majors, complete lower-division major requirements. Meeting minimum admission requirements qualifies you for admission, but for some competitive colleges and programs, you'll need to meet even higher standards.

Will credits from my out-of-state college be accepted by my new school?

Most post-secondary schools accept college-level credits earned out of state at regionally accredited schools. But some colleges do not accept credit from foreign schools or the military.

Your new college will have to evaluate your transcript to determine whether your credits can be accepted. However, even if your credits are accepted, they may not count toward your degree or major. Contact the admissions office at your new college and ask for a transcript evaluation.

When do I apply?

Application deadlines differ from campus to campus. Check with the college you plan to attend for deadlines.

What if I miss the initial filing period?

Most colleges accept applications after the initial filing period. However, some programs fill up quickly. Contact an admissions counselor at the college you plan to attend for details.

Can I use my computer to apply?

Yes, you can apply online using College Planning. Apply to College and Track Your Applications. It's the best way to apply because it's fast and effective!

Where do I send my application?

If you're using College Planning, your applications will be sent directly to your chosen college(s). Apply to College and Track Your Applications. Paper admissions should be sent to the admissions office of the college(s) to which you're applying.

How much does an application cost?

You must pay an application fee for each college application you submit. Fees are non-refundable, and vary from college to college.

When will the campus contact me after I've submitted my application?

The campus should notify you within a few weeks that your application has been received. If the college is unable to process your application, it will contact you as soon as possible.

When will I know whether I've been admitted?

Colleges have different timelines for notifying students of admissions. Some campuses give you a decision soon after receiving your application. Others wait to notify students at the same time. You may have to wait several months before you receive an admission decision in the mail.

Do I have to let the college/university know that I will be attending?

Your admission letter should tell you what to do. Some colleges require a letter of intent from interested parties and give you a response deadline. A fee may or may not be required. Be courteous -- if you've received more than one acceptance, send a letter to the other college(s) to let them know you will not be attending.

How do I select a major?

Explore Programs and Majors to see what's offered and find out what interests you. You can also Learn About Yourself -- your unique interests, skills and abilities. Then Explore Careers that match your skills and interests.

Faculty and department advisors can also give you information about majors. Or talk to a campus academic advisor about your options. Campus tests are also available to help students choose a major.

Most colleges allow students to apply as an undeclared major, if you're not sure of your educational goals or career path.

How is my residency classification determined?

Each college must determine the residence status of all new and returning students. Non-residents pay non-resident tuition, which is higher than in-state tuition, and meet other conditions.

To be eligible for resident classification within a state, you must have established and maintained permanent residence in the state for a certain period of time before the residence determination date. (This could be one or two years, depending on the state.) You may also be required to complete a certain number of semester hours as a non-resident student.

Contact your college's admissions office for information about your state.

How can I find out more about a college or university?

Explore Schools to learn more about different colleges and universities, including school size, tuition costs and student life. You can even Compare Schools side by side, to see how they measure up! The site also lists school contact information, so you can ask any further questions.

Best of all, visit the campus yourself, for a campus tour.

How can I find out about financial aid?

Read Financial Aid 101 for more information. To apply for federal assistance, you'll need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Complete the FAFSA online.

Find Scholarships to locate other sources of aid and use the Financial Aid Calculators to determine your costs.

Using the Financial Aid Wizard, you can build your own financial aid package online. In seven easy steps, the wizard helps you calculate all your expenses for any college you're interested in. It walks you through scholarship searches, provides deadlines for financial aid applications, and even helps you interpret your financial aid award letters.

Also, contact the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend to find out about financial assistance.


  • Email Support
  • 1-800-GO-TO-XAP (1-800-468-6927)
    From outside the U.S., please call +1 (424) 750-3900
  • North Dakota Career Resource Network | (701) 328-9733