Directs and coordinates, through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities of workers engaged in fish hatchery production for corporations, cooperatives, or other owners.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Agribusiness Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Grows fish and shellfish as cash crops or for release into freshwater or saltwater.
- Supervises and trains aquaculture and fish hatchery support workers.
- Collects and records growth, production, and environmental data.
- Conducts and supervises stock examinations to identify diseases or parasites.
- Accounts for and disburses funds.
- Devises and participates in activities to improve fish hatching and growth rates, and to prevent disease in hatcheries.
- Monitors environments to ensure maintenance of optimum conditions for aquatic life.
- Directs and monitors trapping and spawning of fish, egg incubation, and fry rearing, applying knowledge of management and fish culturing techniques.
- Coordinates the selection and maintenance of brood stock.
- Directs and monitors the transfer of mature fish to lakes, ponds, streams, or commercial tanks.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.