Measures, records, or evaluates geological data, using sonic, electronic, electrical, seismic, or gravity-measuring instruments to prospect for oil or gas. May collect or evaluate core samples or cuttings.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Natural Resource Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests and analyzes samples to determine their content and characteristics, using laboratory apparatus or testing equipment.
- Collects or prepares solid or fluid samples for analysis.
- Compiles, logs, or records testing or operational data for review and further analysis.
- Prepares notes, sketches, geological maps, or cross-sections.
- Participates in geological, geophysical, geochemical, hydrographic, or oceanographic surveys, prospecting field trips, exploratory drilling, well logging, or underground mine survey programs.
- Prepares or reviews professional, technical, or other reports regarding sampling, testing, or recommendations of data analysis.
- Reads and studies reports in order to compile information and data for geological and geophysical prospecting.
- Adjusts or repairs testing, electrical, or mechanical equipment or devices.
- Interviews individuals, and researches public databases in order to obtain information.
- Plots information from aerial photographs, well logs, section descriptions, or other databases.