Distributes or processes gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors transportation and storage of flammable and other potentially dangerous products to ensure that safety guidelines are followed.
- Monitors equipment functioning, observes temperature, level, and flow gauges, and performs regular unit checks to ensure that all equipment is operating as it should.
- Controls operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
- Starts and shuts down plant equipment.
- Records, reviews, and compiles operations records, test results, and gauge readings such as temperatures, pressures, concentrations, and flows.
- Adjusts temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, or transfer of gas to maintain processes at required levels or to correct problems.
- Cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment, using hand tools, or requests that repair and maintenance work be performed.
- Collaborates with other operators to solve unit problems.
- Determines causes of abnormal pressure variances, and makes corrective recommendations, such as installation of pipes to relieve overloading.
- Reads logsheets to determine product demand and disposition, or to detect malfunctions.