Plans, coordinates, or edits content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Journalism and Broadcasting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares, rewrites and edits copy to improve readability, or supervises others who do this work.
- Verifies facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Reads copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Develops story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Reviews and approves proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
- Supervises and coordinates work of reporters and other editors.
- Plans the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Reads, evaluates and edits manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confers with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Allocates print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Oversees publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.