Plans, coordinates, or edits content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Journalism and Broadcasting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Verifies facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Reads, evaluates and edits manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confers with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Develops story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Prepares, rewrites and edits copy to improve readability, or supervises others who do this work.
- Oversees publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Writes text, such as stories, articles, editorials, or newsletters.
- Supervises and coordinates work of reporters and other editors.
- Confers with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Plans the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.