Assists nuclear physicists, nuclear engineers, or other scientists in laboratory, power generation, or electricity production activities. May operate, maintain, or provide quality control for nuclear testing and research equipment. May monitor radiation.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Follows nuclear equipment operational policies and procedures that ensure environmental safety.
- Conducts surveillance testing to determine safety of nuclear equipment.
- Monitors nuclear reactor equipment performance to identify operational inefficiencies, hazards, or needs for maintenance or repair.
- Tests plant equipment to ensure it is operating properly.
- Applies safety tags to equipment needing maintenance.
- Follows policies and procedures for radiation workers to ensure personnel safety.
- Modifies, devises, or maintains nuclear equipment used in operations.
- Monitors instruments, gauges, or recording devices under direction of nuclear experimenters.
- Performs testing, maintenance, repair, or upgrading of accelerator systems.
- Adjusts controls of equipment to control particle beam movement, pulse rates, energy or intensity, or radiation, according to specifications.