Operates, tests, maintains, or adjusts unmanned, automated, servomechanical, or electromechanical equipment. May operate unmanned submarines, aircraft, or other equipment to observe or record visual information at sites such as oil rigs, crop fields, buildings, or for similar infrastructure, deep ocean exploration, or hazardous waste removal. May assist engineers in testing and designing robotics equipment.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests performance of electromechanical assemblies, using test instruments such as oscilloscopes, electronic voltmeters, or bridges.
- Installs or programs computer hardware or machine or instrumentation software in microprocessor-based systems.
- Reads blueprints, schematics, diagrams, or technical orders to determine methods and sequences of assembly.
- Modifies, maintains, or repairs electrical, electronic, or mechanical components, equipment, or systems to ensure proper functioning.
- Inspects parts for surface defects.
- Installs electrical or electronic parts and hardware in housings or assemblies, using soldering equipment and hand tools.
- Verifies part dimensions or clearances to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Fabricates or assembles mechanical, electrical, or electronic components or assemblies.
- Aligns, fits, or assembles component parts, using hand or power tools, fixtures, templates, or microscopes.
- Produces electrical, electronic, or mechanical drawings or other related documents or graphics necessary for electromechanical design, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.