Operates equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- Observes distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicates low spots for workers to add material.
- Controls traffic.
- Lights burners or starts heating units of machines, and regulates screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Inspects, cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or reports malfunctions to supervisors.
- Operates tamping machines or manually rolls surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Starts machine, engages clutch, and pushes and moves levers to guide machine along forms or guidelines and to control the operation of machine attachments.
- Fills the tank, hopper, or machine with paving materials.
- Sets up and tears down equipment.
- Coordinates truck dumping.