Selects, fits and takes care of costumes for cast members and aid entertainers. May assist with multiple costume changes during performances.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Distributes costumes or related equipment and keeps records of item status.
- Arranges costumes in order of use to facilitate quick-change procedures for performances.
- Returns borrowed or rented items when productions are complete and returns other items to storage.
- Cleans and presses costumes before and after performances and performs any minor repairs.
- Assigns lockers to employees and maintains locker rooms, dressing rooms, wig rooms, or costume storage or laundry areas.
- Provides assistance to cast members in wearing costumes, or assigns cast dressers to assist specific cast members with costume changes.
- Designs or constructs costumes or sends them to tailors for construction, major repairs, or alterations.
- Purchases, rents, or requisitions costumes or other wardrobe necessities.
- Checks the appearance of costumes on stage or under lights to determine whether desired effects are being achieved.
- Inventories stock to determine types or conditions of available costuming.