Plans and coordinates various aspects of radio, television, stage or motion picture production, such as selecting scripts, coordinating writing, directing and editing, and arranging financing.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Writes and edits news stories from information collected by reporters and other sources.
- Coordinates the activities of writers, directors, managers and other personnel throughout the production process.
- Researches production topics using the internet, video archives, and other informational sources.
- Reviews film, recordings, or rehearsals to ensure conformance to production and broadcast standards.
- Monitors post-production processes to ensure accurate completion of all details.
- Conducts meetings with staff to discuss production progress and to ensure objectives are attained.
- Performs administrative duties, such as preparing operational reports, distributing rehearsal call sheets and script copies, and arranging for rehearsal quarters.
- Resolves personnel problems that arise during the production process by acting as liaison between dissenting parties when necessary.
- Hires directors, principal cast members and key production staff members.
- Arranges financing for productions.