Creates new dance routines. Rehearses performance of routines. May direct and stage presentations.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs rehearsals to instruct dancers in how to use dance steps, and in techniques to achieve desired effects.
- Reads and studies story lines and musical scores to determine how to translate ideas and moods into dance movements.
- Designs dances for individual dancers, dance companies, musical theatre, opera, fashion shows, film, television productions and special events, and for dancers ranging from beginners to professionals.
- Chooses the music, sound effects, or spoken narrative to accompany a dance.
- Advises dancers on how to stand and move properly, teaching correct dance techniques to help prevent injuries.
- Coordinates production music with music directors.
- Auditions performers for one or more dance parts.
- Directs and stages dance presentations for various forms of entertainment.
- Develops ideas for creating dances, keeping notes and sketches to record influences.
- Trains, exercises, and attends dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.