Performs dances. May perform on stage, for on-air broadcasting, or for video recording.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Trains, exercises, and attends dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
- Studies and practices dance moves required in roles.
- Harmonizes body movements to rhythm of musical accompaniment.
- Performs classical, modern, or acrobatic dances in productions, expressing stories, rhythm, and sound with their bodies.
- Collaborates with choreographers to refine or modify dance steps.
- Coordinates dancing with that of partners or dance ensembles.
- Attends costume fittings, photography sessions, and makeup calls associated with dance performances.
- Auditions for dance roles or for membership in dance companies.
- Develops self-understanding of physical capabilities and limitations, and chooses dance styles accordingly.
- Monitors the field of dance to remain aware of current trends and innovations.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.