Using sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques, cuts away dead or excess branches from trees or shrubs to maintain right-of-way for roads, sidewalks, or utilities, or to improve appearance, health, and value of tree. Prunes or treats trees or shrubs using handsaws, hand pruners, clippers, and power pruners. Works off the ground in the tree canopy and may use truck-mounted lifts.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates boom trucks, loaders, stump chippers, brush chippers, tractors, power saws, trucks, sprayers, and other equipment and tools.
- Supervises others engaged in tree trimming work and trains lower-level employees.
- Climbs trees, using climbing hooks and belts, or climbs ladders to gain access to work areas.
- Cleans, sharpens, and lubricates tools and equipment.
- Cuts away dead and excess branches from trees, or clears branches around power lines, using climbing equipment or buckets of extended truck booms, or chainsaws, hooks, handsaws, shears, and clippers.
- Prunes, cuts down, fertilizes, and sprays trees as directed by tree surgeons.
- Trims, tops, and reshapes trees to achieve attractive shapes or to remove low-hanging branches.
- Hoists tools and equipment to tree trimmers, and lowers branches with ropes or block and tackle.
- Operates shredding and chipping equipment, and feeds limbs and brush into the machines.
- Loads debris and refuse onto trucks and hauls it away for disposal.