Works in nursery facilities or at a customer location to plant, cultivate, harvest, and transplant trees, shrubs, or plants.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plants, sprays, weeds, fertilizes, and waters plants, shrubs, and trees, using hand tools and gardening tools.
- Harvests plants, and transplants or pots and labels them.
- Feels plants' leaves and notes their coloring to detect the presence of insects or disease.
- Operates tractors and other machinery and equipment to fertilize, cultivate, harvest, and spray fields and plants.
- Inspects plants and bud ties to assess quality.
- Digs, cuts, and transplants seedlings, cuttings, trees, and shrubs.
- Moves containerized shrubs, plants, and trees, using wheelbarrows or tractors.
- Cleans work areas, and maintains grounds and landscaping.
- Hauls and spreads topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition soil, using wheelbarrows or carts and shovels.
- Maintains and repairs irrigation and climate control systems.