Drives a school bus to transport students. Ensures adherence to safety rules. May assist students in boarding or exiting.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Checks the condition of a vehicle's tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Complies with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
- Drives gasoline, diesel, or electrically powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport students between neighborhoods, schools, and school activities.
- Escorts small children across roads and highways.
- Follows safety rules as students board and exit buses or cross streets near bus stops.
- Keeps bus interiors clean for students.
- Maintains knowledge of first-aid procedures.
- Maintains order among students during trips to ensure safety.
- Makes minor repairs to vehicles.
- Picks up and drops off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.