About This Career
Designs or creates graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Visual Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Determines size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, and selects style and size of type.
- Confers with clients to discuss and determine layout design.
- Creates designs, concepts, and sample layouts, based on knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts.
- Develops graphics and layouts for product illustrations, company logos, and Web sites.
- Uses computer software to generate new images.
- Reviews final layouts and suggests improvements, as needed.
- Maintains archive of images, photos, or previous work products.
- Prepares illustrations or rough sketches of material, discussing them with clients or supervisors and making necessary changes.
- Draws and prints charts, graphs, illustrations, and other artwork, using computer.
- Keys information into computer equipment to create layouts for client or supervisor.