Teaches one or more subjects to students in public or private school at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable State laws and regulations.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Confers with parents or guardians, other teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
- Prepares, administers, and grades tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Instructs through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicates these objectives to students.
- Assists students who need extra help, such as by tutoring and preparing and implementing remedial programs.
- Assigns lessons and corrects homework.