About This Career
Teaches academic and social skills to kindergarten students.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and policies and procedures to maintain order among students.
- Prepares children for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Instructs students individually and in groups, adapting teaching methods to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Teaches basic skills, such as color, shape, number and letter recognition, personal hygiene, and social skills.
- Demonstrates activities to children.
- Reads books to entire classes or to small groups.
- Guides and counsels students with adjustment or academic problems or special academic interests.
- Observes and evaluates children's performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Prepares and implements remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
- Provides a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate, and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.