About This Career
Instructs individual students or small groups of students in academic subjects to support formal class instruction or to prepare students for standardized or admissions tests.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Provides feedback to students, using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, or build confidence in students.
- Reviews class material with students by discussing text, working solutions to problems, or reviewing worksheets or other assignments.
- Assesses students' progress throughout tutoring sessions.
- Teaches students study skills, note-taking skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Provides private instruction to individual or small groups of students to improve academic performance, improve occupational skills, or prepare for academic or occupational tests.
- Participates in training and development sessions to improve tutoring practices or learn new tutoring techniques.
- Collaborates with students, parents, teachers, school administrators, or counselors to determine student needs, develop tutoring plans, or assess student progress.
- Monitors student performance or assists students in academic environments, such as classrooms, laboratories, or computing centers.
- Schedules tutoring appointments with students or their parents.
- Organizes tutoring environment to promote productivity and learning.