About This Career
Examines, analyzes, and interprets accounting records to prepare financial statements, give advice, or audit and evaluate statements prepared by others. Installs or advises on systems of recording costs or other financial and budgetary data.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares detailed reports on audit findings.
- Reports to management about asset utilization and audit results, and recommends changes in operations and financial activities.
- Collects and analyzes data to detect deficient controls, duplicated effort, extravagance, fraud, or non-compliance with laws, regulations, and management policies.
- Supervises auditing of establishments, and determines scope of investigation required.
- Inspects account books and accounting systems for efficiency, effectiveness, and use of accepted accounting procedures to record transactions.
- Examines and evaluates financial and information systems, recommending controls to ensure system reliability and data integrity.
- Confers with company officials about financial and regulatory matters.
- Inspects cash on hand, notes receivable and payable, negotiable securities, and canceled checks to confirm records are accurate.
- Prepares, examines, or analyzes accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Examines records and interviews workers to ensure recording of transactions and compliance with laws and regulations.