Helps roofers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Checks to ensure that completed roofs are watertight.
- Sweeps and cleans roofs to prepare them for the application of new roofing materials.
- Locates worn or torn areas in roofs.
- Cleans work areas and equipment.
- Maintains tools and equipment.
- Covers roofs with layers of roofing felt or asphalt strips before installing tile, slate, or composition materials.
- Removes old roofing materials.
- Unloads materials and tools from work trucks, and unrolls roofing as directed.
- Sets ladders, scaffolds, and hoists in place for taking supplies to roofs.
- Places tiles, nails them to roof boards, and covers nailheads with roofing cement.