About This Career
Makes or forms wax or sands cores or molds used in the production of metal castings in foundries.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sifts and packs sand into mold sections, core boxes, and pattern contours, using hand or pneumatic ramming tools.
- Cleans and smooths molds, cores, and core boxes, and repairs surface imperfections.
- Forms and assembles slab cores around patterns, and positions wire in mold sections to reinforce molds, using hand tools and glue.
- Moves and positions workpieces, such as mold sections, patterns, and bottom boards, using cranes, or signals others to move workpieces.
- Sprinkles or sprays parting agents onto patterns and mold sections to facilitate removal of patterns from molds.
- Positions cores into lower sections of molds, and reassembles molds for pouring.
- Tends machines that bond cope and drag together to form completed shell molds.
- Cuts spouts, runner holes, and sprue holes into molds.
- Operates ovens or furnaces to bake cores or to melt, skim, and flux metal.
- Positions patterns inside mold sections, and clamps sections together.