About This Career
Operates pile drivers mounted on skids, barges, crawler treads, or locomotive cranes to drive pilings for retaining walls, bulkheads, and foundations of structures such as buildings, bridges, and piers.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Moves hand and foot levers of hoisting equipment to position piling leads, hoists piling into leads, and positions hammers over pilings.
- Moves levers and turns valves to activate power hammers, or to raise and lower drophammers that drive piles to required depths.
- Drives pilings to provide support for buildings or other structures, using heavy equipment with a pile driver head.
- Conducts pre-operational checks on equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Cleans, lubricates, and refills equipment.