Grades, sorts, or classifies unprocessed food and other agricultural products by size, weight, color, or condition.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Places products in containers according to grade and marks grades on containers.
- Weighs products or estimates their weight, visually or by feel.
- Discards inferior or defective products or foreign matter, and places acceptable products in containers for further processing.
- Grades and sorts products according to factors such as color, species, length, width, appearance, feel, smell, and quality to ensure correct processing and usage.
- Records grade or identification numbers on tags or on shipping, receiving, or sales sheets.
- Separates fiber tufts between fingers to assess strength, uniformity, and cohesive quality of fibers.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.