About This Career
Directs and may participate in the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Checks the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Determines production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Checks the quantity and quality of received products.
- Supervises or coordinates activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Determines how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
- Analyzes recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Instructs cooks or other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Recruits and hires staff, such as cooks and other kitchen workers.