About This Career
Smooths and finishes surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads, or curbs using a variety of hand and power tools. Aligns forms for sidewalks, curbs, or gutters; patches voids; and uses saws to cut expansion joints.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Checks the forms that hold the concrete to see that they are properly constructed.
- Sets the forms that hold concrete to the desired pitch and depth, and aligns them.
- Spreads, levels, and smooths concrete, using rake, shovel, hand or power trowel, hand or power screed, and float.
- Monitors how the wind, heat, or cold affect the curing of the concrete throughout the entire process.
- Molds expansion joints and edges, using edging tools, jointers, and straightedge.
- Signals truck driver to position truck to facilitate pouring concrete, and moves chute to direct concrete on forms.
- Directs the casting of the concrete and supervises laborers who use shovels or special tools to spread it.
- Produces rough concrete surface, using broom.
- Applies hardening and sealing compounds to cure surface of concrete, and waterproofs or restores surface.
- Operates power vibrator to compact concrete.