Creates or reproduces handmade objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, pottery and needlecraft.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Visual Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Creates functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials.
- Cuts, shapes, fits, joins, molds, or otherwise processes materials, using hand tools, power tools, or machinery.
- Attends craft shows to market products.
- Selects materials for use based on strength, color, texture, balance, weight, size, malleability and other characteristics.
- Applies finishes to objects being crafted.
- Develops concepts or creative ideas for craft objects.
- Sets specifications for materials, dimensions, and finishes.
- Confers with customers to assess customer needs or obtain feedback.
- Fabricates patterns or templates to guide craft production.
- Creates prototypes or models of objects to be crafted.