Creates original artwork using any of a wide variety of media and techniques.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Visual Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses materials such as pens and ink, watercolors, charcoal, oil, or computer software to create artwork.
- Integrates and develops visual elements, such as line, space, mass, color, and perspective, to produce desired effects, such as the illustration of ideas, emotions, or moods.
- Confers with clients, editors, writers, art directors, and other interested parties regarding the nature and content of artwork to be produced.
- Maintains portfolios of artistic work to demonstrate styles, interests, and abilities.
- Markets artwork through brochures, mailings, or Web sites.
- Studies different techniques to learn how to apply them to artistic endeavors.
- Monitors events, trends, and other circumstances, researches specific subject areas, attends art exhibitions, and reads art publications to develop ideas and keep current on art world activities.
- Photographs objects, places, or scenes for reference material.
- Models substances such as clay or wax, using fingers and small hand tools to form objects.
- Creates sculptures, statues, and other three-dimensional artwork by using abrasives and tools to shape, carve, and fabricate materials such as clay, stone, wood, or metal.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.