Installs, dismantles, or moves machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inserts shims, adjusts tension on nuts and bolts, or positions parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Aligns machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Assembles and installs equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lays out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drills holes with power drill.
- Signals crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and align unit to centerline.
- Replaces defective parts of machine or adjust clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Levels bedplate and establishes centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Dismantles machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Attaches moving parts and subassemblies to basic assembly unit, using hand tools and power tools.
- Moves machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.