Installs, maintains, and repairs electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Ensures that work is in accordance with relevant codes. May install or service street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares sketches or follow blueprints to determine the location of wiring or equipment and to ensure conformance to building and safety codes.
- Places conduit, pipes, or tubing, inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pulls insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
- Works from ladders, scaffolds, or roofs to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures.
- Uses a variety of tools or equipment, such as power construction equipment, measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment, such as oscilloscopes, ammeters, or test lamps.
- Assembles, installs, tests, or maintains electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, or fixtures, using hand tools or power tools.
- Maintains current electrician's license or identification card to meet governmental regulations.
- Connects wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- Plans layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Directs or trains workers to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures.
- Tests electrical systems or continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures, using testing devices, such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system.