Installs, maintains, and repairs electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Ensures that work is in accordance with relevant codes. May install or service street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plans layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Connects wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- Tests electrical systems or continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures, using testing devices, such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system.
- Uses a variety of tools or equipment, such as power construction equipment, measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment, such as oscilloscopes, ammeters, or test lamps.
- Inspects electrical systems, equipment, or components to identify hazards, defects, or the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes.
- Prepares sketches or follows blueprints to determine the location of wiring or equipment and to ensure conformance to building and safety codes.
- Diagnoses malfunctioning systems, apparatus, or components, using test equipment and hand tools to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- Works from ladders, scaffolds, or roofs to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures.
- Maintains current electrician's license or identification card to meet governmental regulations.
- Places conduit, pipes, or tubing, inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pulls insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.