Conducts security assessments for organizations, and design security systems and processes. May specialize in areas such as physical security, personnel security, and information security. May work in fields such as health care, banking, gaming, security engineering, or manufacturing.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Engineers, installs, maintains, or repairs security systems, programmable logic controls, or other security-related electronic systems.
- Recommends improvements in security systems or procedures.
- Performs risk analyses so that appropriate countermeasures can be developed.
- Conducts security audits to identify potential vulnerabilities related to physical security, staff safety, or asset protection.
- Provides system design and integration recommendations.
- Designs security policies, programs, or practices to ensure adequate security relating to issues such as protection of assets, alarm response, and access card use.
- Assesses the nature and level of threats so that the scope of the problem can be determined.
- Designs or implements or establishes requirements for security systems, video surveillance, motion detection, or closed-circuit television systems to ensure proper installation and operation.
- Determines the value loss impact and criticality of assets.
- Responds to emergency situations on an on-call basis.