About This Career
Manages, improves, and protects natural resources to maximize their use without damaging the environment. May conduct soil surveys and develop plans to eliminate soil erosion or to protect rangelands. May instruct farmers, agricultural production managers, or ranchers in best ways to use crop rotation, contour plowing, or terracing to conserve soil and water; in the number and kind of livestock and forage plants best suited to particular ranges; and in range and farm improvements, such as fencing and reservoirs for stock watering.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science and Mathematics pathway.
A person in this career:
- Applies principles of specialized fields of science, such as agronomy, soil science, forestry, or agriculture, to achieve conservation objectives.
- Plans soil management or conservation practices, such as crop rotation, reforestation, permanent vegetation, contour plowing, or terracing, to maintain soil or conserve water.
- Monitors projects during or after construction to ensure projects conform to design specifications.
- Implements soil or water management techniques, such as nutrient management, erosion control, buffers, or filter strips, in accordance with conservation plans.
- Advises land users, such as farmers or ranchers, on plans, problems, or alternative conservation solutions.
- Computes design specifications for implementation of conservation practices, using survey or field information, technical guides or engineering manuals.
- Participates on work teams to plan, develop, or implement programs or policies for improving environmental habitats, wetlands, or groundwater or soil resources.
- Gathers information from geographic information systems (GIS) databases or applications to formulate land use recommendations.
- Computes cost estimates of different conservation practices, based on needs of land users, maintenance requirements, or life expectancy of practices.
- Revisits land users to view implemented land use practices or plans.