Lays out, cuts, and places segmental paving units. Includes installers of bedding and restraining materials for the paving units.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares base for installation by removing unstable or unsuitable materials, compacting and grading the soil, draining or stabilizing weak or saturated soils and taking measures to prevent water penetration and migration of bedding sand.
- Supplies and places base materials, edge restraints, bedding sand and jointing sand.
- Discusses the design with the client.
- Sets pavers, aligning and spacing them correctly.
- Sweeps sand into the joints and compacts pavement until the joints are full.
- Screeds sand level to an even thickness, and rechecks sand exposed to elements, raking and rescreeding if necessary.
- Cuts paving stones to size and for edges, using a splitter and a masonry saw.
- Compacts bedding sand and pavers to finish the paved area, using a plate compactor.
- Designs paver installation layout pattern and creates markings for directional references of joints and stringlines.
- Sweeps sand from the surface prior to opening to traffic.