Separates blocks of rough dimension stone from quarry mass using jackhammer and wedges.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Locates grain line patterns to determine how rocks will split when cut.
- Removes pieces of stone from larger masses, using jackhammers, wedges, and other tools.
- Inserts wedges and feathers into holes, and drives wedges with sledgehammers to split stone sections from masses.
- Marks dimensions or outlines on stone prior to cutting, using rules and chalk lines.
- Cuts slabs of stone into sheets that will be used for floors or counters.
- Sets charges of explosives to split rock.
- Drills holes along outlines, using jackhammers.
- Drills holes into sides of stones broken from masses, inserts dogs or attaches slings, and directs removal of stones.
- Cuts grooves along outlines, using chisels.