About This Career
Supervises and coordinates the activities of ground crew in the loading, unloading, securing, and staging of aircraft cargo or baggage. May determine the quantity and orientation of cargo and compute aircraft center of gravity. May accompany aircraft as member of flight crew and monitor and handle cargo in flight, and assist and brief passengers on safety and emergency procedures. Includes loadmasters.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Determines the quantity and orientation of cargo, and computes an aircraft's center of gravity.
- Directs ground crews in the loading, unloading, securing, or staging of aircraft cargo or baggage.
- Trains new employees in areas such as safety procedures or equipment operation.
- Distributes cargo to maximize use of space.
- Calculates load weights for different aircraft compartments, using charts and computers.
- Accompanies aircraft as a member of the flight crew to monitor and handle cargo in flight.