Directly supervises and coordinates the activities of helpers, laborers, or material movers, hand.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains a safe working environment by monitoring safety procedures and equipment.
- Reviews work throughout the work process and at completion to ensure that it has been performed properly.
- Informs designated employees or departments of items loaded or problems encountered.
- Examines freight to determine loading sequences.
- Collaborates with workers and managers to solve work-related problems.
- Checks specifications of materials loaded or unloaded against information contained in work orders.
- Plans work schedules and assigns duties to maintain adequate staff for effective performance of activities and response to fluctuating workloads.
- Transmits and explains work orders to laborers.
- Prepares and maintains work records and reports of information such as employee time and wages, daily receipts, or inspection results.
- Inspects equipment for wear and for conformance to specifications.