Conducts energy audits of buildings, building systems and process systems. May also conduct investment grade audits of buildings or systems.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies and prioritizes energy saving measures.
- Prepares audit reports containing energy analysis results or recommendations for energy cost savings.
- Collects and analyzes field data related to energy usage.
- Inspects or evaluates building envelopes, mechanical systems, electrical systems, or process systems to determine the energy consumption of each system.
- Performs tests such as blower-door tests to locate air leaks.
- Educates customers on energy efficiency or answers questions on topics such as the costs of running household appliances or the selection of energy efficient appliances.
- Calculates potential for energy savings.
- Prepares job specification sheets for home energy improvements, such as attic insulation, window retrofits, or heating system upgrades.
- Recommends energy efficient technologies or alternate energy sources.
- Quantifies energy consumption to establish baselines for energy use or need.