Inspects structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Regulation pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors installation of plumbing, wiring, equipment, or appliances to ensure that installation is performed properly and is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Approves building plans that meet required specifications.
- Inspects and monitors construction sites to ensure adherence to safety standards, building codes, or specifications.
- Inspects bridges, dams, highways, buildings, wiring, plumbing, electrical circuits, sewers, heating systems, or foundations during and after construction for structural quality, general safety, or conformance to specifications and codes.
- Reviews and interprets plans, blueprints, site layouts, specifications, or construction methods to ensure compliance to legal requirements and safety regulations.
- Maintains daily logs and supplements inspection records with photographs.
- Conducts inspections, using survey instruments, metering devices, tape measures, or test equipment.
- Measures dimensions and verifies level, alignment, or elevation of structures or fixtures to ensure compliance to building plans and codes.
- Trains, directs, or supervises other construction inspectors.
- Confers with owners, violators, or authorities to explain regulations or recommends remedial actions.