Verifies and keeps records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepares items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, stamping and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines shipment contents and compares with records such as manifests, invoices, or orders to verify accuracy.
- Records shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, damages, or discrepancies for reporting, accounting, or recordkeeping purposes.
- Prepares documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, or shipping orders, to route materials.
- Confers or corresponds with establishment representatives to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, or nonconformance to specifications.
- Packs, seals, labels, or affixes postage to prepare materials for shipping, using hand tools, power tools, or postage meter.
- Contacts carrier representatives to make arrangements or to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials.
- Delivers or routes materials to departments using handtruck, conveyor, or sorting bins.
- Requisitions and stores shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
- Determines shipping methods, routes, or rates for materials to be shipped.
- Computes amounts, such as space available, shipping, storage, or demurrage charges, using computer or price list.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.