Plans, directs, or coordinates the academic, administrative, or auxiliary activities of kindergarten, elementary, or secondary schools.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Administration and Administrative Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Evaluates curricula, teaching methods, and programs to determine their effectiveness, efficiency, and use, and to ensure that school activities comply with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Observes teaching methods and examines learning materials to evaluate and standardize curricula and teaching techniques, and to determine areas where improvement is needed.
- Counsels and provides guidance to students regarding personal, academic, vocational, or behavioral issues.
- Collaborates with teachers to develop and maintain curriculum standards, develop mission statements, and set performance goals and objectives.
- Directs and coordinates activities of teachers, administrators, and support staff at schools, public agencies, and institutions.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and evaluates primary and supplemental staff.
- Confers with parents and staff to discuss educational activities, policies, and student behavioral or learning problems.
- Enforces discipline and attendance rules.
- Creates school improvement plans by using student performance data.
- Sets educational standards and goals, and helps establish policies and procedures to carry them out.