Plans, directs or coordinates research, instructional, student administration and services, and other educational activities at post-secondary institutions, including universities, colleges, and junior and community colleges.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Administration and Administrative Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Advises students on issues such as course selection, progress toward graduation, and career decisions.
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates the activities of personnel, including support staff, engaged in administering academic institutions, departments or alumni organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and terminates departmental personnel.
- Participates in student recruitment, selection, and admission, making admissions recommendations when required to do so.
- Formulates strategic plans for the institution.
- Plans, administers, and controls budgets, maintains financial records, and produces financial reports.
- Establishes operational policies and procedures and makes any necessary modifications, based on analysis of operations, demographics, and other research information.
- Participates in faculty and college committee activities.
- Promotes the university by participating in community, state, and national events or meetings, and by developing partnerships with industry and secondary education institutions.
- Represents institutions at community and campus events, in meetings with other institution personnel, and during accreditation processes.